Even a Gourmet Goddess orders takeout once in a while, but hardly ever do I order Chinese takeout. I (It’s been like, 5 years! Not even kidding!) Chinese takeout has SO many artificial additives, not to mention the worst of them – MSG. (If you use any bottled or jarred sauces, or even that powdered chicken soup stuff, check the ingredient list. MSG is probably in there!) MSG is a flavor enhancer, so naturally whatever you eat that has MSG tastes “so flavorful and delicious.” The trade-off though is that you’re consuming a chemical that is damaging to your body and HAS SIDE EFFECTS! (rapid heart rate? addiction?)
While I’m realistic and I don’t expect my fellow goddesses to make EVERYTHING from scratch (even I order takeout once in a while) I say stick to Italian and American cuisine when ordering out, and unless you have a reputable, organic Chinese takeout spot, then make your favorite Chinese dishes at home.
Here I prepared a classic Chinese takeout meal – Chicken and Broccoli! To say this is easy to make is an understatement. You’ll never order this out again!
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1lb. Chicken Breast, Cubed
- 2 bunches Broccoli, florets trimmed
- 1 teaspoon powdered Ginger
- 1 yellow onion, halved then sliced
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 5 Tablespoons low-sodium Soy Sauce
- 1/4 cup sugar-free Apricot Jelly
- Small handful Cilantro, chopped (optional) Directions:
- 1. In a pan, sautee’ your cubed chicken breast with olive oil. When the chicken breast is slightly golden, remove from the pan onto a plate lined with paper towel and set aside.
- 2. In the same pan, sautee your onion until translucent, then add the garlic and sautee one minute more.
- 3. Add the rest of the ingredients to the pan and mix well! The jelly should dissolve into the soy sauce.
- 4. Cover and bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to simmer 10 minutes. THAT’S IT! Serve over your favorite rice or enjoy as is…………your broccoli should be al-dente and your chicken should be cooked to perfection. **Optional: Garnish with chopped Cilantro